Here are 7 tips on to save on interest by paying your home loan faster.
Owning a home is one of the most common aspirations among people from all walks of life. No matter what his status in life is, every person will give anything just to be able to build a home for his family.
There are people who have been blessed with a fortune so they can easily build not one but even two or more homes for their families. Some people who have made it their life aspiration to own their own homes manage to fulfill their dreams by availing of a home loan.
Owning a home through a loan is not an easy task because first of all, the person has to have a good credit history. He has to find a suitable mortgage provider that can give him the amount he needs to buy or build his home. Not only that; he also has to choose the best home mortgage he can get to maximize his financial resources.
Before finalizing his application for a home loan, any borrower should evaluate his capacity to pay off his loan for a specific period. Loan providers prefer to give long term loans because this is how they make money. Every borrower should choose a pay-off period that is advantageous to him.
There are advantages and disadvantages to getting a long term home loan. A long term long can be beneficial to the borrower because he can negotiate minimal monthly payments for his home loan. This would be advantageous for him especially if he can negotiate a home loan with a fixed or locked interest. However, this can also be disadvantageous for him if the interest rates go down.
On the other hand, a long term loan can be disadvantageous for the borrower if the interest rate is not fixed and sudden economic factors cause a notable increase in interest rates. Getting a long term home loan can also be more expensive because while the repayment term is long, the total amount mortgaged can be twice or even thrice the principal amount loaned depending on the terms of the lender.
In general, paying off a home loan the soonest possible time would be more beneficial to the borrower. For one, he is assured that he owns his home without worrying about the property being forfeited and in effect losing all his investment.
1. Read and review the terms of the home loan agreement, Check all the
Financial and pay off terms to make sure the loan is not totally onerous for the borrower. Calculate the total amortizations you have to pay and choose a term that you can easily pay off in a monthly or quarterly period.
2. Always make the home loan amortization a priority when it comes to budgeting. When the family income comes in, the borrower should always deduct that amount needed to pay off the home loan amortization to make sure it is not spent on other expenses.
3. Ask the loan provider if a rebate is given for early or on time payments. Some lenders give a rebate every time the amortization is paid on or before the cut off date. The savings you will get from paying early can be given to the lender as an advance home payment. The amount may be meager but it will add up and will later lessen the paying period.
4. Allot a percentage or better yet, apply all the bonuses and other financial gains to the home loan payment. This will be considered as an advanced payment and will get you a breather in case there is an emergency and the money for the home loan is used for a more important expense like health emergencies.
5. Always be vigilant abut how the interest rates go up and down. When the interest rates fall down substantially, refinancing the home loan may just be the best option. However, make sure that the refinancing scheme will lessen the financial burden on your part.
6. Encourage family members to take on extra work or projects to add to the family income. The benefits of owning a home will redound to the whole family so it is important to make the members aware that pitching in home loan payment will always work for the benefit of the whole family. Each member who gets and extra income can allot a portion of that income to paying off the home loan. No matter how meager that extra income may be, it will add up and will help in paying off the home loan the soonest possible time.
7. Save, save and save. Owning a home is a project that requires the head of the family and even the family members to save and scrimp to pay off the loan fast. The family can help by saving on energy consumption or other household expenses. The savings from other household expenses can be used to add to the home loan payment.
For average income earners, only a home loan can make the dream of owning a home a reality. No matter how meager the monthly income is, there is always a chance of owning a home. However, the family should find ways to pay off the home loan fast so they can finally and totally own their home.